Somali Center for water & Environment
The Center was established to work for the betterment of the water and environment through research and development, and public education.
In a civil war setting, water and environment are the first victims of indiscriminate destruction.
Four factors are destroying the Somali environment:
- Contamination of water and environment.
- Recurrent droughts and occasional flooding.
- Indiscriminate fishing and hunting of land animals.
- Desertification, which is threatening the farmland.
Following are the objectives of the Center:
- Provide scientific research, which evaluates the extent of destruction suffered by the environment during the civil war.
- Perform scientific research which recommends better methods of environmental rehabilitation.
- Develop and propose policies for the protection of water and the environment.
- Educate the public and raise the mass awareness for the importance and protection of the water and environment.
- Promote safe domain for the animals.
- Organize seminars and workshops about water and environment to share information with like-mended environmental organizations.