91123 Mental health
Course Descriptionthe course emphasis a number of psychiatric disorders, recognition key signs and symptoms in psychiatry, psychiatric assessment, methods of diagnosis, and introduces the body mind relationship in health and illness and various emotional and somatic manifestations and their relationship including Introduction psychiatrics, neurotransmitters & neurotransmitter receptor, mental disorders- symptoms and signs, neurotic disorders (neuroses), mood disorder, schizophrenia, drug abuse, seizures and epilepsy and understanding the general principles of treatment and management of these disorders are also emphasized
- At the end of the course the student should be able to:
- 1. be able to perform psychiatric assessment
- 2. know the principles of psychiatric diagnosis
- 3. recognize the key signs and symptoms in psychiatry
- 4. be able to make tentative diagnoses of the most common psychiatric disorders
- 5. understand the treatment armamentarium of the most common psychiatric disorders
- 6. Understand human behaviour and its application in patient care.
- 7. Understand the concept of motivation, its impact on human behaviour and illness related behavior and different types of emotions and their impact on health of the individual.
- 8. Define learning; comprehend different types of learning and conditioning. State methods of effective learning and demonstrate application of learning in treatment.
- 9. Understand different cognitive processes, comprehend memory process, describe short term memory and differentiate with long term memory., list causes of forgetting, and illustrate methods of improving memory and Comprehend concept of thinking and its application to health care.
- 10. Understand nature of intelligence, explain growth of intelligence, compare role of heredity and environment in intellectual development. Method of assessment of intelligence.
- 11. Define personality, list determinants of personality, understand different theories of personality and learn methods of personality assessment.
Books for this Course
- Stoudemire, A: Clinical Psychiatry for Medical Students, (2nd ed). J.B. Lippincott Company
- DSM-IVTM: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, (4th ed). American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
- Gelder, M., Gath, D., Mayou, R: Concise Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry. Oxford Press, 2000.
- September 2014
- January 2015