61117 Data Structure
The course is about data structures as used in computer programming. It gives the student better understanding about the ways in which data is arranged in computers memory. Topics include overview of data structures, string processing, ordered arrays, sorting and searching techniques stacks, queues, linked lists, trees, etc.
Classification of data structures, space and time considerations. Linked lists, stacks and queues.
Tree structures, binary search trees. Array and pointer based implementations.Sorting and searching.
- 1. Understanding Abstract Data Types: motivations and basic concepts.
- 2. Understanding of the behavior of basic data structures (lists, stacks, queues, trees (binary trees and tree traversals, height-balanced trees), graphs, hash tables).
- 3. Ability to analyze a problem and determine the appropriate data structure for the problem.
- 4. Understand and analyze elementary algorithms: sorting, searching and hashing.
- 5. Data structure implementation issues. Understanding of dynamic versus array implementations of data structures, factors involved in deciding on an implementation technique.
- 6. Understanding data structure implementation in C using header files and implementation files.
Books for this Course
- Data structures through C, Yashavant Kanetkar, BPB publications
- September 2015
- January 2016