53124 Health Quarantines
Course DescriptionThe sea port, Airport& borders Health section carries out quarantine functions to prevent the introduction of dangerous infectious diseases into the country. Topics include:Introduction of health quarantine, purpose of health quarantine, difference between quarantine & isolation, international health regulations, definitions, purpose & scope, principles &responsible authorities, point of entry. General provisions, special provisions for conveyances & conveyance operators, special provisions for travelers, special provisions for goods, containers & container loading area, health documents, charges, Quarantinable communicable diseases, as an example(today’s CDC quarantine station at U.S port of entry), dismantling of quarantine station system,similarities & differences from airport environments, passenger and crew threats and cargo threats.
- After the end of this course the student will be able to:
- 1. Identify purpose of health quarantine.
- 2. Understand difference between quarantine and isolation.
- 3. Explain disease prevention and control.
- 4. Mention quarantine communicable diseases.
- 5. List protection methods of the different quarantine diseases.
Books for this Course
- Health Sanitation quarantines notes, Daud Ahmed M. (2014)
- K. Park (2011): Preventive and social medicine.2nd edition
- World Health Organization (2005): International Health Regulation (2nd edition).PDF
- Laura B. Sivitz, Kathleen Stratton, & Georges C. (2005): Quarantine Stations at Ports of Entry Protecting the Public's Health
- September 2015
- June 2016