53114 Water and Sanitation
Course DescriptionThe Water and Sanitation course provides students with engineering principles and tools for designing and operating water and sanitation systems. Key topics include water quality parameters; groundwater and surface water treatment; water treatment process technologies; nutrient removal; key principles of Ecological Sanitation; simplified sewerage; decentralized water and sanitation systems; biosolids management; and operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation infrastructure.
- After the completion of this course the student will be able to:
- 1. Describe the historical background of water and sanitation.
- 2. Describe the public health importance of water
- 3. Identify the global occurrence of water
- 4. Identify impurities of water.
- 5. Describe the relation between water and diseases.
- 6. Identify waterborne, water-washed, water-based and water-related diseases.
- 7. Describe the prevention and control of waterborne, water washed, water-based and water-related diseases.
- 8. Identify the different water sources
- 9. Describe water requirements.
- 10. List protection methods of the different water sources from contamination.
- 11. Mention methods of treating household water supplies
- 12. Design and construct different household water filtration method
- 13. Mention chemicals and their dosage used in water treatment at household level.
- 14. Define water treatment.
- 15. Explain the main objective of water treatment.
- 16. define sampling and analysis of water and purpose of sampling and analysis
- 17. Explain the drinking water quality standard.
Books for this Course
- 1. Water and Sanitation notes, Daud d Mohamed (2014)
- 2. K. Park. (2011) Prenentive and social medicine (21th edition).
- 3. R.Kumar.(2009) Water technology management (1st edition)
- 4. Z.Kebede & T. Gobone. (2004)Environmental Health
- September 2015
- January 2016
- ( 02 – Aug- 2017 ) Kampala, July 31, 201...
- ( 02- Aug- 2017 ) Workshop on ICT in mass medi...
- ( 01- Aug- 2017 ) Mogadishu University Institu...
- ( 19 – July – 2017 ) After success...
- ( 17 – July – 2017 ) A Three-day w...