52131 Phlebotomy (2)
Course DescriptionIn this course, students are offered the opportunity to acquire proficiency in phlebotomy (collection of blood from patients). Instruction takes place at an affiliated clinical institution following guidelines established by the Medical Laboratory Sciences program and the institution.
- Upon completion of the Course, students will be able to:
- 1. Obtain blood from a vein or capillary using various methods in patients across the lifespan.
- 2. Properly handle and label specimens.
- 3. Follow safety and infection control procedures for protection of patients, self, and others.
- 4. Provide considered and respectful care of patients by complying with patient rights.
- 5. Utilize effective communication techniques with patients and members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- 6. Follow HIPAA guidelines for the protection of patient confidentiality
Books for this Course
- The Phlebotomy Textbook By Susan King Strasinger, Marjorie Schaub Di Lorenzo
- February 2016
- June 2016