52124 Applied Molecular Biology
Course DescriptionThis course describes the Introduction, concepts of genetics, Mendel’s law, human chromosomes, chromosome number, classification of chromosomes, chromosome analyzes, mutation, genetic disorders, genetic counseling, prenatal diagnosis, and cancer and gene
- By the end of this course, the student should be able to know:
- 1. What is genetics, branch of genetics, important of genetics in medicine and classification of genetics disease.
- 2. Know Mendel’s laws of inheritance
- 3. Chromosomes; human chromosomes, classification of chromosomes and chromosome analysis.
- 4. Molecular genetics; structure of Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), Replication of DNA, ribonucleic acid (RNA),genetic code, Transcription, regulation of gene expression and mutation.
- 5. Chromosome disease; Disorders of Chromosome number and structure
- 6. Modes of inheritance and gene disorders; Autosomal dominant, Autosomal recessive, sex linked inheritance and polygenic inheritance.
- 7. Genetics of cancer; viruses and cancer genes and growth factors and growth factor receptors in cancer cell division cycle control and cancer
- 8. Haemoglobin disorders; e. g sickle-cell disease Thalasseamia
- 9. Geneticic counseling; diagnosis of genetic disease, mode of inheritance and management
- 10.Prenatal diagnosis treatment of genetic disease; techniques for prenatal diagnosis, treatment of genetic disease and gene therapy
- 11. .some important techniques in genetics; recombinant DNA technology, DNA cloning by PCR nucleic acid probes, DNA sequencing, human cloning and human genome project
Books for this Course
- Medical Biochemistry Volume II y,prof.Dr.Dawlat EL-Miligy,October 6 University
- September 2015
- January 2016