52117 Clinical laboratory instruments
Course DescriptionIntroduction to electronic and automated theory and application in the maintenance, operation and troubleshooting of laboratory equipments and instruments including: electrode instruments, microscopes, fume hoods, centrifuges, colorimeters, rotators, autoclaves, incubators, refrigerators and other lab instruments. Includes( a review of the principles of laboratory water and also includes vocabulary, filing and sorting systems, computer/instrument interfacing and maintenance procedures).
- By the end of this course the students should able to:
- 1. Introduce the concept of a microscope , identify parts of microscope , types of microscope, maintain and care of microscope
- 2. Learn equipments for purifying water such as a filtration, deionization , and distillation
- 3. Enhance skills for weighting samples using balance , identify two types of balance (mechanical balance and electronic balance) maintain and care of a balance equipments
- 4. Study the equipments that used in pipetting and dispensing
- 5. Explain the principle of centrifuge , its purpose, its types maintain and care of a centrifuge
- 6. Learn the principle of autoclave , its uses , its types, maintain and care of an autoclave
- 7. Study the incubator for culturing of microorganism , maintain and care of an incubator.
- 8. Learn the water bath , heat block , maintain and care of a water bath and a heat block.
- 9. Provide students with an understanding the principle of a colorimeter a , how to use a colorimeter , maintain and care of colorimeter
- 10. Introduce the learning of mixers and rotators.
- 11. Enhance the learning of general laboratory ware
Books for this Course
- Laboratory Practice in tropical Countries Part I By Monica Cheesbrough 2006
- February 2016
- June 2016