52111 General Chemistry (1)
Course DescriptionGeneral chemistry (1) is a one semester course designed to provide a survey of inorganic and physical chemistry and introduction to organic chemistry for non-science and allied health majors. Topics studied in this course include atomic structure, covalent and ionic bonding, chemical reactions, and quantitative chemistry, gas laws, and chemical calculations. Quantitative reasoning skills are developed and used where appropriate to enhance the understanding of these concepts. The medical and environmental applications of topics covered in lecture are highlighted.
- On completion of this course, students should be able to:
- 1. Define the concepts of General chemistry
- 2. Understand the general and physical properties of matter.
- 3. Understand the basic model of the atom.
- 4. Determine names and formulas of binary molecular compounds, ionic compounds and acids.
- 5. Describe the atomic structure, covalent and ionic bonding, chemical reactions
- 6. Describe, explain and model chemical and physical processes at the molecular level in order to explain macroscopic properties.
- 7. Classify matter by its state and bonding behavior using the Periodic Table as a reference.
- 8. Balance chemical equations, identify basic types of chemical reactions and predict the outcome of these reactions.
- 9. Use the concept of the mole in quantitative chemical calculations
- 10. Solve quantitative chemistry problems and demonstrate reasoning clearly and completely. Integrate multiple ideas in the problem solving process.
- 11. Apply important theories such as quantitative chemistry, gas laws, and chemical calculations
- 12. Quantitative reasoning skills are developed and used where appropriate to enhance the understanding of these concepts.
Books for this Course
- Basic inorganic chemistry by F. Albert Cotton
- September 2015
- January 2016
- ( 02 – Aug- 2017 ) Kampala, July 31, 201...
- ( 02- Aug- 2017 ) Workshop on ICT in mass medi...
- ( 01- Aug- 2017 ) Mogadishu University Institu...
- ( 19 – July – 2017 ) After success...
- ( 17 – July – 2017 ) A Three-day w...