5122 Medical Terminology
Course DescriptionThis is a course which is designed to emphasize on the many components of a medical term and how to break down a medical term by simply knowing the meaning of the prefix or suffix. Topics include overview of medical terminology, basics, odds & ends, circulatory system, nervous system, digestive systems, respiratory systems, urinary system, reproductive system male & female, musculoskeletal systems , cancer words etc.
- On completion of this course, students should be able to:
- 1. Describe what medical terms are used to describe
- 2. develop a familiarity and comfort with using common medical terms
- 3. spell, pronounce, define, and identify words and word parts
- 4. use medical terms and abbreviations correctly in written work
- 5. Explain the role of a prefix, root word, combining vowel, and suffix in a medical term.
- 6. Interpret selected examples of medical prefixes, root words, combining vowels, and suffixes.
- 7. Distinguish between singular and plural forms of medical terms.
- 8. Use accepted medical abbreviations appropriately.
- 9. Discriminate between similar medical terms and abbreviations.
- 10. Answer theoretical and application multiple choice questions on information covered in the lecture and reading assignments.
- 11. Complete a variety of work assignments to demonstrate understanding of basic concepts
- 12. understand readings that use medical terms and abbreviations
- 13. provide the complete meaning of a medical abbreviation
- 14. reinforce knowledge of basic anatomy and physiology
- 15. construct medical terms, given a definition
Books for this Course
- Medical terminology notes, Abdikadir Abdinur Barre (2012)
- Medical terminology course at Des Moines University free notes
- Feruary 2016
- June 2016