51167 Human Genetics
Course Description-This course describes the Introduction, concepts of genetics, Mendel’s law, human chromosomes, chromosome number, classification of chromosomes, chromosome analyzes, Nucleic acid(DNA and RNA) structure , replication of DNA, protein synthesis ,mutation, genetic disorders, genetic counselling, prenatal diagnosis, and cancer and gene , genetic engineering, restriction enzymes, cloning
- By the end of this course, the student should be able to know:
- 1. What is genetics, branch of genetics, important of genetics in medicine and classification of genetics disease.
- Know Mendel’s laws of inheritance
- 3. Chromosomes; human chromosomes, classification of chromosomes and chromosome analysis.
- Molecular genetics; structure of Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), Replication of DNA, ribonucleic acid (RNA),genetic code, Transcription, regulation of gene expression and mutation
- Chromosome disease; Disorders of Chromosome number and structure
- 6. Modes of inheritance and gene disorders; Autosomal dominant, Autosomal recessive, sex linked inheritance and polygenic inheritance.
- 7. Genetics of cancer; viruses and cancer genes and growth factors and growth factor receptors in cancer cell division cycle control and cancer
- Haemoglobin disorders; e. g sickle-cell disease Thalasseamia
- 9. Geneticic counseling; diagnosis of genetic disease, mode of inheritance and management
- Prenatal diagnosis treatment of genetic disease; techniques for prenatal diagnosis, treatment of genetic disease and gene therapy
- 11. .some important techniques in genetics; recombinant DNA technology, DNA cloning by PCR nucleic acid probes, DNA sequencing, human cloning and human genome project
Books for this Course
- Basic of Medical Genetics,AITBS PUPLISHERS,INDIA,G.P.PAL 2012
- Human Genetics in Nursing by Suresh K Sharma
- An introduction to Genetic analaysis, Antony J.F Griffiths ;Jeffrey H.Miller;David T
- September 2015
- January 2016