51164 Occupational Health & Safety
Course DescriptionThe course is designed to provide students specific Health and Safety topics such as occupational health, occupational hazards & the human body, occupational health risks, management of occupational health hazards, the working environment, personal protection, occupational hygiene, ergonomics, safety and risk management, fitness for work after illness/ injury, emergency management, urban health, school health programs, research methods, and legal studies. Students will also be exposed to relevant domain experts through seminars and through work place site visits.
- Upon completion of this course subject, the students should be able to
- 1. Define the concepts of Occupational Health & Safety
- 2. Recognize and assess hazards and risks at the workplace
- 3. Recognize the effects of occupational health on the human body
- 4. Describe the harmful effects of selected important environmental and workplace hazards on human health
- 5. Explain principles of toxicology
- 6. Apply principles of human toxicology to interpret workplace exposures to chemicals and their potential health effects
- 7. Find and extract information from MSDS and discuss their importance for risk control
- 8. Explain principles of exposure assessment for physical and ergonomic hazards
- 9. Apply principles of ergonomic workplace design and demonstrate the use of exposure assessment tools for ergonomic hazards
- 10. Describe methods for risk reduction & control for chemical, physical, biological and ergonomic hazards
- 11. Identify the Fitness for work after illness/ injury
- 12. Recognize and understand the importance of personal protection
- 13. Understand The working environment
- 14. Understand the occupational hygiene
- 15. Recognize and assess the urban Health
Books for this Course
- Occupational Health & Safety, Mohamed A. M (2013)
- envirometnal & occupational Healty by wiley.com
- text book occupational medicine by worldscientific.com
- September 2015
- January 2016
- ( 02 – Aug- 2017 ) Kampala, July 31, 201...
- ( 02- Aug- 2017 ) Workshop on ICT in mass medi...
- ( 01- Aug- 2017 ) Mogadishu University Institu...
- ( 19 – July – 2017 ) After success...
- ( 17 – July – 2017 ) A Three-day w...