51154 Nursing Education (1)
Course DescriptionThe main purpose of this course is designed to equip the student with the knowledge on educational methodology and is expected to develop their skills in carrying out effective teaching/learning in various setting both in class room and clinical field situations. The course provide students specific topics such as Education, nursing and philosophy, Relationship between philosophy and terms of education (Philosophy and education, Philosophy and aims of education, Philosophy and curriculum, Philosophy & textbook, Philosophy and method of teaching, Philosophy and discipline, Philosophy and teaching, Philosophy and education), Concept and meaning of nursing education ( nursing education, Phases of nursing education, Objectives of nursing education,, Nursing education programs, Factors influencing nursing education), Educational objectives/learning objectives, Concept of teaching and learning, General principles in education (Teaching system, Personal attributes of teaching, Role/functions of the teacher), Clinical teaching, Learning (Characteristics of learning, Type of learning, Learning experience), Curriculum (Aims of curriculum, Functions of curriculum, Components of curriculum, Components of the general plan of curriculum, Curriculum development, Stages of curriculum)
- At the end of the course, students will be able:
- 1. To define the term education, nursing education, philosophy and curriculum.
- 2. To express concept and meaning of nursing education.
- 3. To understand the aims of education and nursing education.
- 4. To know educational objectives/learning objectives.
- 5. To memorize the teaching / learning process
- 6. To illustrate nursing education programs and their problems.
- 7. To describe the general principles of teaching and learning.
- 8. To know curriculum development process.
- 9. To know types of learning in teaching and clinical area.
Books for this Course
- Nursing education notes, Phineas A. A & Ali Dahir M. (2014)
- Text book of Nursing Educaiton by KP Neeraja
- Nursing Educaiton by T. G. Mashaba, Hilla Brink
- Annual Review Nursing Education by Marilyn H. Oermann and K. T. Heinrich
- September 2015
- January 2016