51151 Health Economics
Course DescriptionThis course is designed with knowledge and skills that will enable students to focus on financial accountability and manage health budget resources effectively. The topics provides the course are: introduction to economics, Main features of the health care services & its relation with economic development, budgeting & resource allocation, cost & economic evaluation, health care financing, productivity, the role of government in health.
- At the end of this course the students will be able to:
- 1. Understand the meaning and purpose of economics; know the major branches and approaches of economics.
- 2. Describe health as one of the social sectors with economic implication; mention the specific nature of the health care service in implementing economic principles and techniques and be able to know the implications of economic development to the health care services.
- 3. Outline the meaning and basis of cost as a concept; be aware of the possibility of using cost concepts to undertake economic evaluation and be introduced to the possibilities of using cost benefit analysis and cost effectiveness analysis in assessing the performance of health care activities.
- 4. Identify the factors that influence the choice of a financing system and explore the different sources of financing the health service sector.
- 5. Outline the meaning of productivity; demonstrate the performance measures of personnel productivity; explain Nature of the hospital product (output) and state the ways to improve productivity.
- 6. Appreciate the problems of health policy in developing countries and analyze the possible measures that can be taken to alleviate the health problems of developing countries.
Books for this Course
- Health Economics noes, Sino Alaly &Walid Abdikadir(2014)
- Rout, H.S., and P.K. Panda, 2007, Health and Health Economics:
- DN Dwivedi, the principles of Economics
- Kobelt, G. (2002) Health Economics: An Introduction to Economic Evaluation
- February 2016
- June 2016
- ( 02 – Aug- 2017 ) Kampala, July 31, 201...
- ( 02- Aug- 2017 ) Workshop on ICT in mass medi...
- ( 01- Aug- 2017 ) Mogadishu University Institu...
- ( 19 – July – 2017 ) After success...
- ( 17 – July – 2017 ) A Three-day w...