51150 Advanced Nursing Procedure & Protocols
Course DescriptionThis course is designed to focus on some if the commonest advanced nursing procedures which will enable students to provide comprehensive nursing care as well as the knowledge and skills of examinations and investigations. The basic topics are: Chest aspiration, Underwater seal drainage, Continuous urinary bladder irrigation, Stomach washout(gastric lavage), Tracheostomy, Endoscopies, Liver biopsy, Lumbar puncture, Bone marrow puncture, Abdominal paracentesis, Plaster of Paris, Contrast Media Studies
- At the end of this course the students will be able to:
- 1. Describe the meaning of chest aspiration, its indications, method and complication after performing this.
- 2. Outline the meaning of chest drainage (underwater seal drainage), it objectives, indications, and how to perform this procedure; enumerate how to change the underwater seal drainage bottle.
- 3. State the meaning of gastric lavage (stomach washout), its purpose, indications, and the method of performing this procedure as well as its complications.
- 4. Define tracheostomy, its types, indications, site of tracheostomy, procedure as well as nursing care after tracheostomy.
- 5. Describe endoscopy and its types; demonstrate how prepare patients for endoscopy.
- 6. Define laryngoscopy, laparoscopy and bronchoscopy as well as how to demonstrate the procedure for these.
Books for this Course
- Advanced Nurisng Procedures & protoc notes , Phineas A. A (2014)
- Priciple & Practice of nursing by Sr. nancy
- Nursing Procedures and Protocols by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- February 2016
- June 2016