Course DescriptionThe course is designed to focus on the essential and main elements of nutrition and it also covers the management or problems related to malnutrition. The course provide students with basic knowledge of Introduction to Nutrition, Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids, Vitamins & Minerals, Water & Fiber, Breast Feeding & Weaning, Malnutrition, Nutrition Survey
- Upon completion of this course subject, the students should be able to:
- 1. Define nutrition
- 2. Classify nutrients
- 3. Identify sources of nutrients
- 4. Determine functions and importance of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals
- 5. Define breastfeeding and weaning
- 6. Define malnutrition
- 7. Classify malnutrition
- 8. List macronutrient malnutrition
- 9. Explain different signs and symptoms of types of Protein Energy Malnutrition
- 10. List micronutrient malnutrition disorders
- 11. Calculate Body Mass Index
- 12. Assess nutritional status of adults and children
Books for this Course
- Intorduction to Nutriation notes, Alas Hassan & Walid (2014)
- AMREF notes of nutrition.
- Frederica Jacob. Lecture Note for a course in applied Human Nutrition.
- Marian Maltese Eschleman. Introduction Nutrition and diet Therapy.
- February 2016
- January 2016