This course surveys major principles of biochemistry including alkalinity and acidity (PH meter), carbohydrates, amino acids and peptides, proteins, lipids, nucleic acids, vitamins, enzymes and co-enzymes and hormones. This course are emphasizes to the structure of macromolecules and their functions of disorders (increasing and decreasing). Three hours of lecture per week.
- At the end of the course, learners will be able to
- 1. Define “biochemistry.”
- 2. Give examples of monosaccharides, disaccharides, oligosaccharides and polysaccharides.
- 3. Draw chemical structures for some common sugars: glucose, lactose, maltose etc.
- 4. Illustrate the structure of a triglyceride 5. Discuss saponification. 6. Discuss the role lipids play in the structure of membranes 7. Briefly explain the difference between sphingolipids, glycolipids and steroids 8. Describe the physiological roles of steroid hormones 9. Briefly describe some of the functions of proteins such as structure, catalysis, movement, transport, hormones, protection, storage and regulation 10. Draw structures for all twenty amino acids 11. Define what is meant by the primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structure of a protein.
Books for this Course
- 1. Introduction to Biochemistry , Dushyat kumar
- 2. Clinical biology , B.D. Gupta
- ( 02 – Aug- 2017 ) Kampala, July 31, 201...
- ( 02- Aug- 2017 ) Workshop on ICT in mass medi...
- ( 01- Aug- 2017 ) Mogadishu University Institu...
- ( 19 – July – 2017 ) After success...
- ( 17 – July – 2017 ) A Three-day w...