25147 Organic Chemistry (1)
This course provides a systematic account of organic compounds started with saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons. Organic reactions are explained on the basis of electronic properties of organic compounds and using these properties students is encouraged to predict the mechanisms of some organic reactions. This is followed by study of the physical and chemical properties, methods of preparation and chemical reactions. Another topics will emphasizes are types of isomerism’s in chemistry and petroleum and its derivatives. Selected experiments will be assigned to students to prepare some organic compounds, isolate them, purify them, and investigate their properties.
- At the completion of this course, the successful student will be able to:
- 1. Explain the difference between a saturated and an unsaturated hydrocarbon
- 2. Give examples of constitutional isomers
- 3. Name alkanes and cycloalkanes according to the IUPAC system given the structural formulas and vice versa
- 4. Define cis-trans isomerism of cycloalkanes 5. List the characteristic reactions of the cycloalkanes. 6. Give examples of cis-trans stereoisomerism in alkene molecules 7. Name alkenes and alkynes according to the IUPAC system given the structural formula and vice versa. 8. List the characteristic reactions of the alkenes and alkynes such as hydrohalogenation and acid-catalyzed hydration. 9. Describe the properties of polyethylene and common terpenes 10. Draw the structure of benzene and discuss its resonance properties. 11. Use the IUPAC system to give correct names for benzene and its derivatives. 12. Give examples of characteristic reactions of benzene and its derivatives. 13. Describe the characteristics of an antioxidant.
Books for this Course
- 1. Text book of Organic Chemistry, Arun Bahl
- 2. Chemistry, S.Chand
- 3. Organic Chemistry, Maltland Jones
- ( 02 – Aug- 2017 ) Kampala, July 31, 201...
- ( 02- Aug- 2017 ) Workshop on ICT in mass medi...
- ( 01- Aug- 2017 ) Mogadishu University Institu...
- ( 19 – July – 2017 ) After success...
- ( 17 – July – 2017 ) A Three-day w...